- 3 pounds zucchini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese blend (such as Parmesan, provolone, Pecorino Romano)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh chopped thyme, to taste
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded basil
- 8 large eggs, slightly beaten
Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut ends of zucchini and slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips, using a food processor with a 6-centimeter blade, mandolin or by hand.
Coat a 9- by 13-inch casserole dish with a little olive oil. Layer as follows: zucchini, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and then a layer of tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with basil and cheese. Repeat zucchini layer, repeat tomato layer, and finish with another zucchini and cheese layer. Carefully pour eggs around the edges.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more, until eggs are set and cheese begins to brown. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.