Lightly spiced and super fragrant with ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, these festive waffles are reminiscent of their cookie cousin.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crème fraîche and tart jam, for serving
Preheat a waffle iron.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Blend wet mixture into dry ingredients until smooth.
Cook waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. Keep waffles warm on a rack in a 200° F oven while cooking remaining batter (do not cover).
Serve with crème fraîche and jam.