- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hachiya persimmon pulp (about 3 very ripe persimmons)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly oil them.
Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy; add egg. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in persimmon pulp.
Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then stir in persimmon pulp mixture. Gently blend in remaining flour mixture, then fold in chopped nuts and dates.
Drop 1-inch balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until puffy.